Jeep, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC and Hummer now offer diesel models of the most popular cars, trucks and SUVs they sell in the United States. But switching over to diesel isn’t the only way you can save money on your fuel costs.
“It’s also a good idea to look for ways to enhance the efficiency of your diesel engine,” says Tom Wicks, manager of product development for Gold Eagle, an industry pioneer in the production and distribution of aftermarket fluids and additives. Here’s how he recommends that diesel vehicle owners maintain their engines:
* Change and clean the air filter regularly. Diesel engines take in a lot of air for combustion, which powers the engine. A plugged or dirty air filter can choke off the air flow to the cylinders, reducing fuel economy and available power.
* Clean and lubricate the engine’s fuel injectors and remove deposits caused by dirt, sand and fuel impurities by adding a bottle of DieselPower! Complete Fuel System Treatment to your tank. Clean injectors mean better combustion, which translates into more power, better fuel efficiency and a longer engine life.
* Change the oil and oil filter at recommended intervals. Oil is part of the friction reducing, lubricating lifeblood of the engine, and because it can pick up dirt that makes it past the air filter, it needs to be changed often. If it isn’t, over time the dirty oil will cause engine wear and reduced fuel economy.
* Maintain proper tire inflation pressure for the load being carried. Low tire inflation pressure means high rolling resistance and reduced fuel economy. Follow the tire manufacturer’s recommendation label, usually located on a sticker placed on the vehicle’s door frame.
* When you need an increase in power for towing, add a bottle of DiselPower! Performance Improver and Cetane Booster to your tank. Diesel fuel with a high cetane number burns quicker after it’s injected into the cylinder; producing more power and performance from the engine.
For more information about the benefits of diesel engines, and where to purchase DieselPower! Products, log on to www.goldeagle.com or call (800) 367-3245. Courtesy of ARA Content