However, there are still plenty of cars out there with transmissions that owners can check themselves. ATRA offers these tips:
1. Make sure the car is on level ground.
2. Start the engine.
3. Bring the engine to normal driving temperature. The easiest way to do this is by checking the fluid level right after driving the car for a while.
4. Hold your foot on the brake and work the shifter slowly through the gears. Give the transmission a second or two in each gear.
5. Put the shifter back into park.
6. Set the parking brake.
7. Carefully open the hood.
8. Find the dipstick. (Your owner's manual will tell you where it's located.)
9. Remove the dipstick and wipe it off with a clean rag or paper towel.
10. Slide the dipstick all the way back down into the transmission fill tube.
11. Pull the dipstick back out, and check the fluid level against the markings on the end of the dipstick.
12. Add fluid as necessary.
For more information or to locate an area ATRA member, visit www.ATRA.com.