Get A Tune Up and Check Your AC:
A tune up before you leave on a long trip could result in improved fuel economy by 4−12 percent. Auto manufacturers recommend a tune up every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. If your air-conditioning system hasn't been checked recently, have the technician check the refrigerant charge, compressor belt and compressor clutch.
Maintain Your Cooling System:
Engine coolant can become contaminated, so the system should be flushed and replenished periodically--typically every three years or 36,000 miles. Never check the radiator or coolant when the engine is hot. One product to help reduce engine heat is Royal Purple's Purple Ice Coolant Additive. This high-performance, synthetic radiator coolant additive fosters optimum coolant flow by helping to prevent formation of scale deposits in the radiator and also lubricates the water pump seals. Learn more at www.coolerradiators.com.
Don't Forget The Spare:
When checking your tires for correct inflation and even wear, make sure your spare tire is ready to use in case you need to put it into service when you're on the road.
Change Your Windshield Wipers:
Experts suggest changing your blades every six to 12 months. Don't forget to check and change your rear-window wiper blade, too!
Emergency Road Kit:
Having these items could make it easier to get back on the road:
• First-aid kit that includes aspirin, bandages, gauze, eyewash, moist wipes, antibiotic ointment and burn cream
• Duct tape can temporarily fix a broken windshield wiper, hold glass together, pick up glass shards, serve as a temporary gas cover and repair a broken hose
• Brightly colored cloth or "emergency" sign that you can tie or place somewhere on your car to signal for help
• Cell phone. If you don't want a regular-use cell phone, there are special 911 units and prepaid cell phones
• Tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and socket wrenches
• Booster cables to jump a dead or faulty battery
• Extra fuses
• Emergency light or flashlight
• Bottled water.
For more information, visit www.royalpurple.com.