Traditional flat-plate starting batteries will only tolerate the charging/discharging cycle a few times before becoming useless.
For example, when a light is left on in a vehicle overnight, the low draw on a traditional, flat-plate battery will likely render it dead. This scenario leads to increased maintenance costs and safety concerns.
An advanced battery solution for vehicles with extreme electrical demands can be Optima Batteries with SpiralCell Technology. They have a higher starting voltage, for more "Start Zone" cranking power than traditional batteries.
In addition, the batteries can be discharged to a low voltage and charged back up to maximum voltage without losing capacity and life along the way. That means you'll be able to run more electronics and accessories longer, without the fear of draining the battery so low that the car won't start or be damaged.
Because of its unique design, the battery is also more resistant to the negative effects of heat and vibration, the two leading causes of battery failure. An Optima has twice the cycle life of a traditional battery, is spillproof and maintenance-free, completely eliminating the worry associated with battery failure and ongoing maintenance.
What You Can Do
In addition to making sure you have a top-quality battery, you have to treat it right:
• Test your battery regularly, such as when you have the car serviced or before long trips.
• Check to see if the battery and cable connections are corroded or loose. Even a little corrosion affects the battery's ability to accept a charge, so wire-brush the cable and battery terminals at least once a year.
• Be sure the ground connection to the body and engine are clean and tight.
• Keep the plastic surface of the battery clean. Rinse it with warm water, wipe down with mild detergent to cut the grease and rinse again. This will prevent an oily film from collecting dirt, which is conductive and will discharge the battery slightly.
• Cover all exposed metal parts of the terminals and cables with grease to keep corrosion away.
For more information, visit www.optimabatteries.com or call 1-888-8OPTIMA.
A quality car battery can keep you on the road to safety and low maintenance costs, while still powering the accessories-from entertainment centers to GPS devices-that keep you happy.