While its in-vehicle service is an effective means for ensuring peace of mind for women traveling alone by car, OnStar offers the following easy-to-implement tips:
* Keep an eye on the weather. Unexpected storms can wreak havoc on local roads as well as highways. Always get a weather update before leaving the house, even if you're just going out to run a few errands.
* Make sure your spare tire is in good condition and filled to the proper pressure.
* Outfit your car with a first aid kit; be sure to replenish supplies on a regular basis.
* Put together an emergency kit that includes a flashlight, flares, road atlas, bottled water, energy bars and blanket.
* It may not always be safe to reach for a cell phone while behind the wheel. A hands-free, voice-activated phone is a better and safer alternative.
* Make a plan. Talk to your children about what to do and who to call in an emergency.
For more information, visit www.onstar.com.
Media Release Date: 6/6/03