"The accident rate on our highway is about half of the provincial average," said Dale Albers, spokesperson for 407 ETR, the 108-kilometre toll highway that spans the GTA.
"It's much lower because we also patrol the highway to clear any debris and help stranded customers with a free battery boost, gallon of gas and so forth. The faster they're on their way, the safer and faster it is for everyone."
To ensure you arrive quickly and safely this summer, here are some other suggestions:
1. Check headlights, signals, tires, oil and other fluids before leaving.
2. Replace worn parts like windshield wiper blades.
3. Don't overload the vehicle or trailer.
4. Don't overcrowd the car with passengers, one person per seatbelt - it's the law.
5. Avoid unnecessary distractions; take travel games, books and music for kids.
6. Keep greater distance if you are towing a trailer, especially in wet weather.
7. Stay focused on your own driving and follow the rules.
And remember, once you arrive at the beach or the cottage, continue to be safe and play safe when on or near the water.