* Keep tires properly inflated and aligned. This reduces the engine's effort - and gasoline consumption.
* Have your vehicle's air conditioner serviced only by a technician certified to handle and recycle refrigerants. Older air conditioners contain ozone-depleting chemicals, which could be released into the atmosphere through improper service.
* Avoid speeding and sudden accelerations. Both habits guzzle gas. When waiting in the car, shut off the engine. Consolidate daily errands to eliminate unnecessary driving.
* Remove excess items from the vehicle. Less weight means better mileage. Don't forget to take down the rooftop luggage carrier after vacations.
* If you do your own repairs, properly dispose of engine fluids and batteries. Some repair facilities accept these items. Or call your local government for information.
Visit www.ase.com for more care car tips and for information about the benefits of using ASE-certified technicians for auto repairs and service.
ASE-certified technicians wear blue and white shoulder insignia and carry credentials listing their exact areas of certification. Their employers often display the ASE sign.