• Press down gradually and gently on the pedals to give your brakes-and your passengers-a break. Abrupt starts and sudden stops can cause wear on your vehicle and decrease fuel efficiency.
• Keep your car's engine warm and running efficiently by planning ahead and combining your errands into one outing.
• Carpool with friends or co-workers and share driving responsibilities to help minimize vehicle wear and tear and reduce fuel consumption.
Look for Extra Ways to Save.
• Use a credit card that offers a special reward or rebate to help you save money on car-related purchases. For example, consumers who use the Shell MasterCard® from Citi® Cards earn a 5 percent gasoline rebate on Shell gasoline purchases-that translates to 10 cents per gallon on gasoline priced at $2 per gallon. Additionally, using the card for other everyday purchases earns an additional 1 percent in Shell gasoline rebates.
• Stretch your car-care dollars by seeking out special discounts, warranties and value-added offers. For example, many tire retailers offer ongoing special services free of charge, such as tire rotations, tire balancing and flat tire repair, with the purchase of new tires.
Be Mindful of Maintenance.
• Routine maintenance helps keep your vehicle operating properly. Follow the maintenance schedule recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Regular oil changes and inspections of your vehicle's belts, hoses and fluids will help prevent unexpected problems and save you money in the long run.
• Make sure tires are inflated to the proper level-it will provide less road resistance and help improve fuel efficiency.
By following these simple tips, consumers can put a cap on car-related costs and help keep their vehicles running smoothly. To learn more, log onto www.local shell.com.
Routine maintenance helps keep your vehicle operating properly, saving you time, trouble and money.