• Before hitting the road check tire pressure, windshield washer fluid and ensure seat belts are in good working condition.
• Getting your spring oil change before heading out is a good idea. Visit a local service centre, like Canadian Tire, to get your oil changed, your brakes checked and to ensure your vehicle is safe for long drives.
• Check provincial legislation to ensure your child's booster seat or car seat meets safety regulations. Look for booster seats that click directly into your car's seating system, such as the Clek booster seat at Canadian Tire.
• If you are planning on being on the road frequently, then you may want to purchase roadside assistance. Canadian Tire offers different roadside packages for all drivers that include towing and gas assistance, trip routing etc.
• To avoid having to stop for snacks, pack a cooler with drinks and favourite snacks. A cooler with a 12 volt unit that plugs into the car's outlet will keep drinks and food cold for the duration of the trip.
Entertaining the kids
• Keeping kids entertained for long drives can be challenging. Packing along a table tray like the Scooby Doo Backseat Tray provides a sturdy surface so kids can draw, colour, eat or play games.
• Choose an organizer, like the Sponge Bob backseat organizer that has multiple pockets to keep crayons, paper and travel-sized games organized and within easy reach.
• For longer trips, a stop to stretch the legs and get a breath of fresh air will help to break up the trip. Pack some balls and games for the park to keep kids entertained. A car organizer that fits into the hatchback or trunk of the car will keep cars clutter-free and provide an easy way to transport items to and from the vehicle.