Check for damage:
• Look for deterioration of seals around doors, roof vents and windows, and reseal as necessary.
• Check awnings for damage, mildew and insects.
• Examine the hitch system for wear, loose bolts and cracks.
Change the engine oil and spark plugs. Many RV manufacturers recommend changing the oil and filter prior to storage and again in the spring. During storage, oil can separate and cause condensation buildup that may harm the engine. Also, while replacing spark plugs, be sure to set the gaps to the recommended manufacturer's setting.
Make sure your insurance policy covers towing expenses. An auto endorsement might only cover up to the amount it costs to tow a car--around $75--but since many RVs require special equipment, towing them can cost much more.
Inspect the engine:
• Check the battery.
• Check the cooling and fuel systems.
• Drain and flush the entire system of the nontoxic antifreeze you used before placing the RV into storage and replace with the proper coolant.
• Check for cracks in hoses and fan belts and replace if necessary.
• Replace the fuel filter, and examine the fuel lines and fittings for cracks and leaks.
• Change the transmission fluid and filter.
• Flush the water system.
Inspect the tires. Check for cracks, worn treads and correct tire pressure.
Check all lights. Make sure headlights, taillights, brake lights and turn signals are all functioning properly.
Prepare for a safe season. After checking all mechanical components, inspect your safety equipment. This means installing new batteries in flashlights and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and restocking the first-aid kit.
Check your coverage. After making these routine checks, don't forget to review your insurance policy to make sure it meets your current needs. Ask your local independent agent about specialized RV insurance that can cover everything from tree damage repairs to your lodging if your RV breaks down while you're on the road.
For more information about specialized RV insurance coverages, visit www.rv.progressiveagent.com.