These trends cannot continue without consequences. If buying a hybrid vehicle isn't an option for you, there are some ways to make the most of your gas. The American Petroleum Institute recommends several courses of action:
* Get an engine tuneup regularly to improve fuel economy.
* Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Under-inflated tires can decrease fuel economy by up to 1 mile per gallon.
* Quit speeding. The faster you drive, the more gas your car uses.
* Use your air conditioning sparingly; it can save as much as 2 miles per gallon.
* Plan your trips wisely. Combine all your trips into one when running errands.
Not only will these tips help you get more out of every tank, they may even extend the life of your car.
Mammoth Resource Partners hosts one of the Web's premier sites devoted to energy investing and peak oil. Download a free copy of the report "Digging Deeper Into Oil & Gas Partnerships" at www.mammothresource.com.