On The Way
• Check the inflation pressure of your tires. The proper inflation pressure can save drivers up to six cents per gallon on gas.
• Having your wheels properly aligned can save as much as 11 cents per gallon. Your Uniroyal dealer can assess your vehicle's wheel alignment.
• Replace clogged air filters. A clean filter can mean savings of as much as 22 cents per gallon.
• Book your airfare as soon as you can. By booking at least 14 days in advance, you'll have a better chance at lower rates.
• Use a travel search engine to identify the lowest-fare airline. Then go directly to that airline's Web site to get the lowest fare.
• Use parking coupons. Typical airport parking charges an average of at least $10 to $12 per day. By using coupons, you can cut that amount by up to half. Sites such as www.longermparking.com offer coupons in cities nationwide.
•If traveling with your family on vacation, alternatives such as extended-stay hotels with kitchens and free breakfast offer more space and help save on meals.
• Bid online for rentals. If you are willing to pay for your car rental on a nonrefundable basis, you can save by using a site such as Priceline.com or Hotwire.com where you can name your own price.
• Check Web sites such as www.fromers.com or visitors bureau Web sites for tips on how to get discounted rates at popular attractions or for free events.
• Sign up for e-mail newsletters at national chain restaurants to get printable coupons. For example, both TGI Friday's and Maggiano's give a free $9 appetizer coupon immediately when you sign up for their newsletters.
• Look for discounted restaurant gift certificates by zip code in the area you are visiting for 4 percent to 20 percent rebates.
Uniroyal and Nelson will offer additional money-saving advice throughout the year as part of the More Mileage For Your Money campaign. Learn more at both couponmom.com and uniroyal.com.
With a little planning, you can have a memorable vacation and save money. For example, the proper tire pressure can help improve mileage and save money.