For many consumers, selling a used vehicle can seem daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Using a free, local classifieds website like Kijiji.ca allows you to avoid expensive listing fees and helps you to easily find a local buyer for your vehicle. Simply list the car for sale on the website and interested buyers can contact you directly to negotiate the deal. All transactions are done in-person, so you don't have to worry about money transfers and shipping, and there are no fees.
So how do you go about selling your car online? Follow Kijiji's seven tips for selling a vehicle online:
1. Visit www.kijiji.ca and choose your city to get started. Kijiji has individual sites for 67 cities across the country. If you don't see your city listed, pick the one that is closest. Listing the vehicle in a nearby city or town makes it easier for the seller to test drive the car.
2. Make it easier for buyers to find your listing by being specific at the top of the ad. Include the make/model, year and price of the car right in the title.
3. Do your homework. Look at listings for similar vehicles and make note of their asking prices. It's important to consider a fair price for your used car.
4. Make sure to include a detailed description. Ask yourself: what information would I want to know about this car before buying it?
5. Include pictures of the car. It's important to include photos of the car from both the outside and inside.
6. Be courteous; once the ad is posted, make sure you respond in a timely manner to all buyer inquiries. It will help you sell the car faster.
7. Finally, research shows that reliability is the most important overall consideration when Canadians are getting ready to buy a vehicle. So let people know what's under the hood (or what's not), and be prepared to provide the potential buyer with a copy of the work that has been done to maintain the car.
The most popular place to buy and sell pre-owned vehicles can be found online at www.kijiji.ca and by clicking on "cars & vehicles."
Kelly Williams is a respected educator and leader in the automotive industry and a former racecar driver. When Kelly isn't track-side, she is busy acting as a spokesperson for Be Car Care Aware, teaching Canadians how to take care of their cars. Kelly has also appeared on several well-known TV shows. She is Kijiji Canada's resident car care expert.